The TWEAK is another acronym; this instrument is designed for use with pregnant women.
Tolerance, Worried, Eye-Opener, Amnesia, Kut down
(hey, no one ever said the instrument developers were also great acronym creators, but everyone needs an acronym, right?!)
- How many drinks can you hold? (Tolerance)
- Have close friends or relatives Worried or complained about your drinking in the past year?
- Do you sometimes take a drink in the morning when you get up? (Eye-opener)
- Has a friend or family member ever told you about things you said or did while you were drinking that you could not remember? (Amnesia)
- Do you sometimes feel the need to Cut down on your drinking?
The TWEAK is used to screen for pregnancy risk drinking, defined here as the consumption of 1 ounce or more of alcohol per day while pregnant. Scores are calculated as follows: A positive response to question T on Tolerance ( i. e. , consumption of more than five drinks) or question W on Worry yields 2 points each; an affirmative reply to question E, A, or K scores 1 point each. A total score of 2 or more points on the TWEAK indicates a positive outcome for pregnancy risk drinking.