The term CRAFFT is an acronym for components in the questions:
Car, Relax, Alone, Forget, Family/Friends, Trouble.
- Have you ever ridden in a Car driven by someone (including yourself) who was high or had been using alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to Relax, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs while you are by yourself Alone?
- Do you ever Forget things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- Do your Family or Friends ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever gotten into Trouble while you were using alcohol or drugs?
If the adolescent answers “No” to all three opening questions, the provider only needs to ask the adolescent the first question – the CAR question. If the adolescent answers “Yes” to any one or more of the three opening questions, the provider asks all six CRAFFT questions.
A CRAFFT score of 2 or higher is considered a positive screen and should be explored further.