Choose an SBIRT Model
…and you have already started the first step in design: organizational assessment.
The next step is to decide how you want to implement SBIRT…
Once you “know” your patients, place and people, it becomes easier to answer those checklist questions of What? Where? When? Who? How?
- What screening tool? What method of screening (paper vs. electronic; self-administered vs. face-to-face)?
- Where will the screening and brief intervention take place?
- When will the screen and brief intervention happen (every visit, yearly, etc)?
- Who will administer the screening? Who will conduct the brief intervention? Who will call the substance use counselor, if needed?
- How will the screening results be recorded? How will the information be passed on to the next team member? How will we know who to refer to? How will we know our system is working?
…and a GREAT way to do that is to start with how other people have done it!
Even though there is no one size fits all approach, there are guidelines and suggestions for SBIRT in a variety of locations. A great place to start is SAHMSA.