Referral in Action: What might the patient expect?
Typically here at IU, and at many other provider locations, in-house referrals are called Consults.
For our SBIRT program, typically you would:
- Page the SBIRT counselor towards the end or at the end of your exam.
- Briefly, inform of patient targeted drug (s), medical record number, and exam room.
- In an ideal situation, a ‘warm hand off’ from physician to counselor will occur. If not, the SBIRT Counselor will take it from the phone call.
- After the consult, the counselor will attempt to locate the referring Physician in order to provide an update of the encounter.
- A progress note is then entered into the electronic medical record.
Another way to get an SBIRT consultation started is to complete a Gopher generated Psychiatry Consult Requisition. One example of the instructions could look like this: “Nurse/Staff to schedule an appointment to see SBIRT counselor within1 month for management, suggestions for Alcohol Abuse.
Please note, more often than not, third-party Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers would like the patient to make initial contact and to set up their own appointments. They want to know that the patient is serious about treatment.